Sunday, November 30, 2008

I am thinking

Thinking can be dangerous!  Apparently I have lots of things on my mind this morning. 
 
I have a huge wish list of what I consider necessary electronics I must have.  I need my own laptop.  At the very least I need a new computer, be it a laptop or desktop.  I'll probably go with a desktop because you get more bang for your buck, but I'd like both a new desktop and laptop.  I found the desktop I want.  it's 2300 I think.  But it's also a TV.  It's a touch screen, which I don't find necessary at this point.  I want a tablet - there are very expensive ones that I'd love, but I'd settle for just a medium priced one.  I want more portable memory.  I need more cards for my camera.  Hell...I need more lenses, batteries, maybe a different case, and maybe a portable card reader so I can dump cards as they get full should I be hired to for weddings or whatever.
 
That reminds me.  I haven't been in touch with that girl about her wedding pictures.  With everything that's gone on with mom, it just slipped my mind and isn't a huge priority.  I think I'd charge $500.  I don't know if that's expensive or not, but that's what I'd charge.  Half up front, and half on delivery.  That also reminds me...thinking about that finally helped me figure out what a contract would look like for any business that I do.
 
The other thing on my mind is that I HAVE to get that application in for Baker College.  Do I apply for financial aid first?  I don't know how that works.  I guess it would make sense to make sure I can get approved before applying.  And since I've waited this long to apply, I won't be starting school until February.  But that's ok with me, I guess.  I need to write my essay, but I don't know what to say.  Originially my reason for wanting my MBA was shallow.  Weezie told me she was getting hers, so I decided I have to get one too.  But it had already been on my brain for a while.  I had asked both Zeus and Hestia if they thought it was a good idea.  They didn't give me answers I liked so I decided that yes...it's a good idea.  Zeus asked why I needed an MBA to be his assistant.  Hestia said I don't need an MBA to be a designer.  Why are those answers not good?  Because those answers tell me that they don't think my ambitions go farther than the work I'm currently doing.  Their answers said I'm content where I am and that I don't want more.  I do want more.  I want to be a leader.  I want to be a director.  My ideal job, I think, is an art director, or director of marketing.  I'm not even close to that level of work because I feel I need more education to thoroughly understand the business side of my work.  I'm just beginning to be involved in budgeting and in creating marketing plans from conception through completion.  I want to be more involved.  I want to eventually be the leader, the director.  Without an MBA, I don't feel that's going to be possible.
 
Why Baker?  I feel that Baker offers me the flexibility I need in an educational program.  I work alot of hours.  Especially once I start freelancing, attending classes would be nearly impossible for me.  Having the opportunity to complete a degree online is perfect for my situation.  I'm able to do course work before my job, during lunch break, after work before I go home, on weekends - it fits to my lifestyle at this point in time.  That's not to say that I won't miss the classroom.  I'm an education junkie - I'd love nothing more than to sit in a classroom all day long, learning learning learning!  When i was doing research on what MBA programs were suitable for me, Baker came up every time as a leader in business education.
 
I want the degree for two reasons.  One is to potentially get a promotion at work.  The other is to obtain another job at a higher level with a different company.  In economic times like we have currently, there really is no such thing as job security.  Receiving and MBA in Marketing is necessary to continue on my career path.  I have the ambition and drive to complete this degree program successfully.
 
This was good for me...I think there's an entrance essay in here.  I just needed to get started somewhere.  My invisible friends are always a good place to start.