What I taught myself today is very old hat to a lot of designers. Everything I know is self taught, so I always have a bigger learning curve than those who have a fancy schmacy edumication! What did I learn, you ask? I learned how to make images with transparent backgrounds. I always knew how to make gifs transparent, but I hated the quality, so I found ways around having transparent backgrounds. But now I need the transparency and discovered just why people use png files instead of gifs. I never really looked into the benefits of png vs gif, but now I see it. I'm so very excited for myself!
I hate that my learning curve is like this, but I can't afford any formal graphics training and my company won't pay for it. So...I play and learn. And really, that's kind of the fun way to do it, anyway. I retain much more having tried and tried and finally succeeded at whatever task.
So...yay me! I can move on with the redesign :) WOOHOO!